Monday, January 10, 2011

Sweet Potato Hash (Gluten, Egg, and Dairy Free)

Breakfast was pretty hard for me to figure out at first. I felt like everything had Gluten, dairy and eggs in a breakfast dish.  I LOVE hashbrowns. So I had to think of something like it. I didnt just want to eat potatoes for a meal though.  You of course can use regular potatoes for the Hash Brown part, But beacuse I need to keep my Glucose levels down I decided to use Sweet Potatoes. These are a Low GI food.  This is a very simple recipe but I had to share it with you. We make this at least once a week.  :-)

Ingredients:

- 1 big or 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- Turkey Bacon ( I use 6 slices for Dan and I)
- 1 Yellow or Red pepper
- Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Salt

First step is to prepare The potatoes.  Peel and shred them.  

hash12
Because sweet potatoes have so much liquid in them you must squeeze this out.  Here is the way I do it. I am sure you don't need to do use paper towels, its just works better for me ;-)

hash13
Coat Bottom of a big frying pan with EVOO.  Fry Potatoes on medium heat.  Cook like normal hashbrowns.

Add Paprika, garlic powder, and salt. There is no measurements for this. Just add to taste.

hash6

While Potatoes are cooking chop Turkey Bacon and peppers.

hash14

Cook Turkey Bacon in a separate pan. Once Hashbrowns are golden brown on one side flip and add chopped peppers to the top of potatoes.

hash3

Once bacon is cooked add to hashbrowns. Mix all together.

hash1

All Done ;-)

A good topping for this is cubed avocado. We didnt have any this time. Try it if you have some. Hope you Enjoy...

1 comment:

  1. Tonight the Carlisle's have happy bellies because of another Tiana great (the shrimp pasta:)...we said thank you to you in our grace:) Now we will be able to thank you on the weekend! Thank you for sparking the bravery to embark on my food journey. You are an inspiration as always:) Love, K

    ReplyDelete