Friday, January 14, 2011

Different "potato" ideas

I LOVE french fries and mashed potatoes!!! But we all know they aren't the greatest for us.  Soooo for french fries I do sweet potatoes. :-) Sweet potatoes are very rich in beta carotene, which is a great anti-oxidant.  They also have anti inflammatory properties, vitamin C and magnesium.  So these little guys are great to snack on for us that have hashimotos and pcos.  Helps keep inflammation down and glucose levels stable.


These are a great mid-day snack or a side for dinner.  All you have to do is peel your potatoes. Cut into french fry strips. Not to thick or they will take a long time to cook.  An easy way to season and coat with olive oil is to put them into a big Ziploc, sprinkle whatever seasoning you want and a little olive oil in the bag. I used salt and paprika for these ones in the picture. That's why they look a little red after cooked.  Mix all up so they are evenly coated.  Lay fries out onto a cookie sheet. I usually cook them at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  I just check on them every five minutes or so and make sure they aren't burning. 





sp2

sp1



My second "potato" idea is cauliflower mashed potatoes.  I know it may seem weird but they truly do taste like mashed potatoes.  And its simple. Here is what you will need

Ingredients:

- 1 cauliflower head
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- salt
- garlic powder

Take a head of cauliflower, break it up and steam them for about 8 minutes. I use one of the double decker steamers.

cp1

Ones soft, place into food processor. I am pretty sure you can also use a blender.  Add rice milk, earth balance. blend all together until it looks and feels like mashed potatoes. Add salt and garlic to taste. You can  add any type of seasonings, this is just what I did the other night ;-)

cp2

cp3

What a great healthier option for mashed potatoes!   Dont ya think!?!?  ;-) Hope you enjoy...

2 comments:

  1. I love cauliflower mashed potatoes! I ate them all the time when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. They sound kind of gross but they taste so good!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiana! Loving the new blog direction! All great ideas....I wanted to share my friend Jen's blog with you..I make everything she posts and it's right up your alley! Here's to healthy eating!

    http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete